Overview of the NWBA USA Wheelchair Basketball High Performance Teams and Future Plans:
Again, we want to thank all of the men and women who gave it their all in London......as players and coaches, they represented the NWBA and USA at the Paralympics with passion, professionalism and heart.
In my position as Executive Director, I have spent numerous days in the past 9 months meeting with the staff of the USOC, USA Paralympics and USA Basketball to develop our relationships, seek technical assistance and better understand what the NWBA needs to do to increase funding and support for our international teams and competition. It was made very clear by Scott Blackman at the USOC Assembly that the future support of our organizational support would be determined solely on our final results at the highest level of competition. Based on what I have learned from the groups listed above as well as many of our former and current Paralympic coaches and players, I with the Board's support have taken the following steps and am committed to the following actions:
- We introduced the formation of a High Performance Committee that is being utilized by other successful National Governing Bodies through the membership newsletter. The Committee was being established to leverage an approach used by all NGBs that fall under the USOC umbrella, as well as that of many world class sport organizations. That approach is to develop a detailed, multi-year, High Performance Plan with the scope and resources necessary to be the best in the World.
- Prior to the start of the 2012 Paralympics, I appointed Dan Byrnes the Chair of the High Performance Committee.
- The Committee is comprised of past administrators, coaches and players, with a collectively impressive track record of success at the international level. The membership and sub committees will be increased over time.
- The duties of this committee are to develop strategies and tactics that will enable our Men’s and Women’s National / Paralympic Teams (including U23 Men and U25 Women), collectively known as High Performance Program to compete for Gold Medals at Rio 2016, while building long term capability to sustain success thereafter.
- The primary focus areas within the High Performance Plan are:
- Player development
- Coaches development
- Training and competition excellence
- Leadership / Governance
- The HPC utilized a 2 day summit, with participation from The NWBA Executive Director and Interim President, to develop the High Performance Plan, which was submitted to the USOC to support a funding request for the 2013 programs.
- A more specific responsibility of this committee is coach selection, which started with the U23 Head Coach position, which was opened for applicants prior to the 2012 London Paralympics. The HPC went through a rigorous selection process and in October named Lew Shaver as the U23 Head Coach. Since that time, a methodical trial process yielded a very strong pool of 18 players who will train for the U23 World Championship, with an ultimate selection of 12 who will compete in 2013.
- The Committee will build upon this process as it outlines the approach to identifying and selecting the best coaches to ensure all steps are taken to give our Men’s and Women’s teams the greatest preparation, motivation, competition and learning required to compete for a Gold Medal at Rio 2016. More information on the coaches’ criteria and selection process will be out in November.
- Upon selecting the coaches and their staffs, the Committee will continue to work in partnership with the coaches, the NWBA National Office and the USOC to create a systematic approach to developing our pipeline of athletes and coaches.
- The approach to our High Performance Programs is no longer business as usual. Rather, a new expectation is being placed on all parties (e.g. administrators, coaches, players, staff, etc…) involved to partner together on systematically raising the collective bar of NWBA / USA Wheelchair Basketball performance.
We will continue to keep you updated on a regular basis as to the progress and results of our High Performance Program.
-NWBA Executive DIrector, Randy Schubert
USA Men's Wheelchair Basketball Team | USA Women's Wheelchair Basketball Team | USA Men's U23 Wheelchair Basketball Team | USA Women's U25 Wheelchair Basketball Team