COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO – The National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA) Governance Committee has announced that the 2020 NWBA Annual Assembly will be held at 8:15 p.m. Central time on Thursday, March 12 in Wichita, Kansas. The Annual Assembly will be held in conjunction with the 2020 NWBA Toyota Adult & Junior Wheelchair Basketball National Championships. The Annual Assembly will be held at the host hotel for this event, Wichita Marriot (9100 E Corporate Hills Dr, Wichita, KS 67207). All NWBA members have an opportunity to attend. Further details on participating electronically in this meeting will be shared when available.
The NWBA Annual Assembly will feature:
BOARD OF DIRECTOR NOMINATION & ELECTIONS
The NWBA Board of Directors has two positions up for re-election at the NWBA Annual Assembly. The Board of Directors positions available for election:
• Elected position, currently held by Daniel Ferreira
• Elected position, previously held by Tim Fox (fulfilling the un-expired term until 2021)
The qualifications and nomination process for NWBA Board of Directors are below. If you have questions regarding the process of filling the open NWBA Board of Directors position, please contact Chair of the Governance Committee and Board Secretary Bruce Fischbach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The elections for the NWBA Board of Director positions will be held in accordance with NWBA Bylaws Article 9, Section 9.4. The Governance Committee shall submit a slate of nominees for Board offices to the Executive Director for publication and distribution to the voting membership at least 30 days prior to the scheduled Annual Assembly.
The Governance Committee will post slate of members running for NWBA Board of Directors by January 12, via the NWBA website, located at http://www.nwba.org/.
NWBA Bylaws – Article 5, Section 3 – Qualifications:
a. Each director of the Board of Directors must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
b. A director shall:
a) have the highest personal and professional integrity,
b) have demonstrated exceptional ability and judgment,
c) be effective, in conjunction with the other members of the Board, in collectively serving the long-term interests of the NWBA,
d) possess an understanding of athletic competition and the Paralympic ideals,
e) have a high level of experience and capability in Board oversight responsibilities, including in the areas of finance, marketing, fundraising, audit, management, communications, sport, and other challenges that face the NWBA.
NWBA Bylaws – Article 10, Section 4 – Board of Directors Elections:
1. The Governance Committee shall submit a list of open Board of Directors positions to the Executive Director to be posted on the NWBA Website no later than 90 days before the Annual Assembly.
2. At least sixty (60) days prior to the scheduled Annual Assembly, the Governance Committee shall submit a slate of nominees for open Board of Director positions to the Executive Director for publication and distribution to the voting membership.
3. Governance Committee reviews and submits slate of nominates to Executive Director no later than 45 days prior to Annual Assembly. No nominations from the floor of the Annual Assembly shall be permitted. The chair of the Governance Committee, shall prepare ballots for the voting membership which lists all nominees by the Board office for which the candidates were nominated.
4. Absentee ballots shall be sent to the voting members at least 30 days prior to the Annual Assembly. For Absentee Ballots, see Section 10.4 of these Bylaws.
5. The Absentee ballots shall be returned to the NWBA Governance Committee at the NWBA Headquarters at least 15 days prior to the Annual Assembly.
6. The voting membership shall cast their votes for all positions and all amendments on a single, secret ballot at the Annual Assembly, and the results shall be tabulated and announced during the called meeting of the voting delegates.
NWBA Bylaws - Article 10, Section 3 - Amendments of NWBA Bylaws:
“These NWBA Bylaws may be amended at the NWBA Annual Assembly by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of the voting membership present and voting provided that the proposed amendment is submitted in writing to the Executive Director and the chair of the Governance Committee at least ninety (90) days preceding the annual meeting.”
Per the NWBA Bylaws please submit amendment submissions to Bruce Fischbach, Chair of the Governance Committee, at email@example.com and Will Waller, CEO/Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 13.
December 13 – Official Notice of NWBA Annual Assembly
December 13 – NWBA Proposed Bylaw Amendments Received by NWBA
December 13 – Slate of Open Positions for NWBA Board of Directors Announced
January 12 – NWBA Posts and Emails Members Proposed Bylaws
January 12 – NWBA Announces Slate of Members Running for Board of Directors
January 27 – NWBA Announces Ballot of Proposed Amendments and Candidates for Board of Directors
February 11 – All requests for Absentee Ballots must be received in writing to the NWBA Executive Director
February 26 – All absentee ballots must be received by the NWBA Governance Committee Chairperson
Thursday, March 12 – 2020 NWBA Annual Assembly