The U.S. Women’s Wheelchair Basketball Team was named a finalist for the Team USA Paralympic Team of the Year, presented by Dow for its gold-medal performance at this year’s Parapan Am Games in Toronto. The other finalists in the Paralympic Team category were the U.S. Sled Hockey Team and U.S. Men’s Archery Team.
The U.S. Sled Hockey Team took home the honors on Thursday night during a live taping of the Team USA Awards presented by Dow, Best of the Year ceremony at the University of Pennsylvania’s Houston Hall in Philadelphia. Co-Captains Darlene Hunter of Commerce Township, Mich., and Desiree Miller of Monroe, Wash., were in attendance representing wheelchair basketball.
The awards show – which featured NBC’s Natalie Morales as host and retro pop/soul artist Andra Day as the musical guest – will be televised Dec. 27 on NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) from 3-4 p.m. ET.
The five other award categories and recipients follow:
• Female Olympic Athlete of the Year, presented by DICK’S Sporting Goods – Simone Biles, Gymnastics
• Male Olympic Athlete of the Year – Jordan Burroughs, Wrestling
• Olympic Team of the Year, presented by Dow – U.S. Women’s World Cup Team, Soccer
• Female Paralympic Athlete of the Year, presented by DICK’S Sporting Goods – Tatyana McFadden, Track and Field
• Male Paralympic Athlete of the Year – Joe Berenyi, Cycling
“We are honored to have been selected as finalist for the Paralympic Team of the Year. Each athlete and staff member has shown hard work, dedication, and passion during the building process for this team since our coaching staff was selected in 2013. This team in particular has embraced the process, grown so much together and shown such great character as they represent Team USA at the highest level,” said Stephanie Wheeler, head coach of the U.S. Women’s team.