National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA)
Job Description – Director of Membership Services and Programs
Job Title: Director of Membership Services and Programs
Description of Organization
The National Wheelchair Basketball Association was formed in 1948 and is the oldest sports organization for individuals with physical disabilities. The NWBA provides persons with physical disabilities the opportunity to play, learn, and compete in the sport of wheelchair basketball. The NWBA establishes strategic plans and national goals for the promotion and growth of the sport and for participation and competition at all levels.
As the national governing body for the sport of wheelchair basketball in the United States, the NWBA is responsible for the interpretation, standardization, and enforcement of the rules and regulations of wheelchair basketball.
The NWBA is also responsible for protecting the interests of the NWBA membership by creating a fiscally stable environment; establishing governance best practices; maintaining a professional management structure; ensuring good communications with all NWBA constituencies; ensuring both national and international competitive excellence; ensuring adequate resource development; augmenting the NWBA tradition; and creating comprehensive and effective compliance and monitoring programs to promote the knowledge and adherence to USOC, IWBF, federal, state, and other applicable agencies’ rules and laws.
The NWBA national office is located at 1130 Elkton Drive, Colorado Springs, CO.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Membership Services and Programs will have overall responsibility for the leadership and management of the NWBA Membership program, services and benefits in furtherance of the mission of the NWBA.
Leadership and Management
- Ensure ongoing local, national and international programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of programming and delivery from the National Office to the membership
- Actively engage and energize members, volunteers, divisions, committees, partnering organizations, to lead and assist in enhancing and growing the programmatic opportunities and excellence of NWBA initiatives
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong set of divisional and committee leadership
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the membership, board, funders, and other constituents
Membership and Team Organization
- Oversee the management and implementation of all aspects of the NWBA Membership program
- Oversee the design, management, and implementation of all aspects of the NWBA Team registration process
- Oversee the management and implementation of the NWBA event and tournament sanction process
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop comprehensive long term strategic plan to significantly increase membership, players, teams, and officials
- Increase the volume and effectiveness of communications to the membership
- Assist in providing management and content for website and digital media
- Satisfactorily resolve issues or disputes from membership
- Effectively manage the response time to membership requests
- Proper maintenance and security of membership information
Events and Clinics
- Assist with all aspects of the execution of the NWBT, Collegiate Nationals, Women’s Nationals and any other events created or developed by the NWBA
- Serve as the Assistant Tournament Director of the NWBT
- Assist in the execution of National team, developmental, veterans, coaching or other camps or clinics developed by the NWBA
- Assist in the development of the three-on-three initiative
Program Planning and Development
- Lead key volunteers and serve as staff liaison to annually build and adjust as needed all Division guidelines and rules, conference membership, alignment and guidelines.
- Develop seasonal competition schedules, seasonal tournament scheduling and sanctioning, growth and development of divisions, conferences and tournaments
- Oversee all aspects of sports including player development, coach development, and official’s development
- Support the Executive Director in building and managing the NWBA’s relationships with key partners and providers including the USOC, the NBA, USA Basketball and others.
- Assist in developing fundraising and support for NWBA programs
- Develop efficient and effective budgets for program areas
- The Director of Membership Programs and Services will be committed to the NWBA mission
- Proven leadership, staff coaching and relationship management experience.
- BS or Master’s Degree from an Accredited Institution
- At least 5 years of sport management experience; track record of success delivering membership programs
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with volunteers with the ability to cultivate existing volunteer and member relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Prior experience and familiarity with NWBA programs and volunteers
- Prior experience with Wheelchair Basketball is a plus
- Demonstrated computer literacy
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Ability to travel as required for the completion of job duties, and may be required from time to time to work non-traditional hours and weekends.
The NWBA Director of Membership Programs and Services is an at will employee under the laws of Colorado.
- Please send a cover letter expressing your interest in the position and addressing how you best fit the requirements of the position.
- Send a resume and at least three professional references with contact address, phone and email address.
- Applications must be received no later than July 12, 2016.
- Submit to:
Mr. Jim Scherr, Executive Director
1130 Elkton Dr., Suite A
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
The NWBA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the NWBA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.