skip navigation

Josh Joines and Preston Howell Named NWBA Junior Division Players of the Week

11/10/2016, 7:30pm CST
By NWBA

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO – Junior varsity player Josh Joines of Atlanta, Georgia, and Junior prep player Preston Howell of Charlotte, North Carolina, were named the first NWBA Junior Division Players of the Week for the week of October 31-November 6. Each were recognized and voted the honor by the NWBA Junior Division coaches and team representatives, as well as NWBA social networks followers. Joines earned the recognition in the Junior Varsity Division, while Howell was the Junior Prep Division recipient.

The Blaze Sports Hawks’ Joines scored a game high 24 points, and snagged 8 rebounds in the championship games of the Big Peach Slam Jam in Atlanta, Georgia. He shot well over 50 percent from the field, despite being double-teamed from the TIRR Hotwheels. Joines led the team passionately and displayed fantastic sportsmanship.

Howell, who was uncontested, received the Junior Prep honors and showed unbelievable determination with a recently broken leg for the Charlotte Hornets. NWBA legend Dave Kiley refers to the prep standout as the floor general for his remarkable vision on the court. He sealed the Charlotte Hornets fate as the Conference Champions by draining two free throws to close out the Championship game. His stat line was impressive leading the Hornets to a perfect 5-0 tournament run with 22 points, 4 assists, and 5 rebounds. In the championship game, he scored 6 points, including 2 for 2 from the foul line in the closing seconds of the game.

The Charlotte Rollin’ Hornets’ Andre’ DeWitt of Charlotte, North Carolina, finished in second in the NWBA Junior Varsity Player of the Week running. DeWitt, playing in his first season in Junior Varsity, had an impressive week as well scoring 52 points, snagging 28 rebounds and getting 17 steals over the weekend.

The NWBA Intercollegiate Player of the Week is determined by the NWBA college coaches by ranking the weekly nominees and accounts for 80 percent of the total points, while NWBA Facebook and Twitter fans account for the remaining 20 percent of the point total. The NWBA college coaches nominate players to the NWBA headquarters on Monday following games. Those who cast a ballot rank all players, with No. 1 votes earning 10 points, No. 2 votes earning 9 points, No. 3 earning 8 points, etc. If there is a tie, the athlete with the most No. 1 votes wins, and will continue to break the tie down to the total of No. 3 votes. If still tied after No. 3 are counted, then the players are named NWBA Intercollegiate Co-Athletes of the Week.

2016-17 NWBA JUNIOR VARSITY PLAYER OF THE WEEK

October 31 – Josh Joines, Atlanta, Georgia, Blaze Sports Hawks

2016-17 NWBA JUNIOR PREP PLAYER OF THE WEEK

October 31 – Preston Howell, Charlotte, North Carolina, Charlotte Hornets

Tag(s): Home