skip navigation

Rontes “Tes” Williams Named NWBA Junior Division Player of the Week for November 7

11/17/2016, 5:45pm CST
By NWBA

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO – Junior varsity player Rontes “Tes” Williams of Pearl, Mississippi, was named the NWBA Junior Varsity Division Player of the Week for the week of November 7, for his play with the Mississippi WheelCats. He was recognized and voted the honor by the NWBA Junior Division coaches and team representatives, as well as NWBA social networks followers.

Williams, who has been the Mississippi WheelCats top scorer for the past three seasons and since the team formed, maintained his dominance on the court by scoring 70 of the WheelCats’ 101 points this past weekend at the Southwest Regional Tournament in Dallas. He played like poetry in motion putting up 29 of the team’s 41 points and bringing down 29 rebounds. Tes, a high school junior, is credited with leadership ability on the court to enhance the WheelCats’ newer players leading to their success.

The Dallas Junior Mavericks’ Tyler Buysse of Gunter, Texas, finished second in the NWBA Junior Varsity Player of the Week running. Buysse led the Junior Wheelchair Mavericks to a first-place finish at the Jim Hayes Memorial Tournament last weekend. He scored a game high 17 points and also added six rebounds and six assists. The Mavs outlasted the TIRR Hotwheels in a defensive battle for the championships, 48-39.

The NWBA Intercollegiate Player of the Week is determined by the NWBA junior coaches by ranking the weekly nominees and accounts for 80 percent of the total points, while NWBA Facebook and Twitter fans account for the remaining 20 percent of the point total. The NWBA junior coaches nominate players to the NWBA headquarters on Monday following games. Those who cast a ballot rank all players, with No. 1 votes earning 10 points, No. 2 votes earning 9 points, No. 3 earning 8 points, etc. If there is a tie, the athlete with the most No. 1 votes wins, and will continue to break the tie down to the total of No. 3 votes. If still tied after No. 3 are counted, then the players are named NWBA Intercollegiate Co-Athletes of the Week.

2016-17 NWBA JUNIOR VARSITY PLAYER OF THE WEEK

October 31 – Josh Joines, Atlanta, Georgia, Blaze Sports Hawks

November 7 – Rontes “Tes” Williams, Pearl, Mississippi, Mississippi WheelCats

2016-17 NWBA JUNIOR PREP PLAYER OF THE WEEK

October 31 – Preston Howell, Charlotte, North Carolina, Charlotte Hornets

Tag(s): Home