COLORADO SPRINGS, CO - The NWBA and the Junior Division Executive Committee are excited to announce the postseason timeline and qualification process for the 2019 national tournaments for the Junior Division. The host for the National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (NJWBT) presented by ABC Medical, will be held in Chicagoland area (New Lenox, Illinois and surrounding area) on March 29-31, 2019. The NJWBT will be held in conjunction with the Junior National Invitational Wheelchair Basketball Tournament and National Prep Wheelchair Basketball Tournament.
The top 16 ranked teams for Varsity level of play in the Junior Division will earn an invite to compete in the National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (NJWBT). Varsity teams ranked 17-32 will receive an invite to participate in the Junior National Invitational Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (NJIT). The top 16 ranked teams from Prep are initially offered an invitation to participate in the National Prep Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (NPWBT). If a team does not accept its bid for postseason play, invitations will be sent to the next team, in order of ranking, until all Junior Division tournaments are filled.
Per the Junior Division Guidelines, Article V. Section 5.02 to be eligible for a national tournament, a team must be in good standing with the NWBA, and:
1. Play a minimum of TEN (10) games for Varsity and EIGHT (8) games for Prep
a. Varsity ONLY: Complete at least 6 of their 10 minimum games against conference opponents.
2. Each Varsity and Prep team must compete in their Conference Championship.
3. All minimum game requirements must be completed at least four weeks prior to the beginning of the national tournament.
The Junior Division Executive Committee will provide an exemption to the following requirements in Junior Division Guidelines for Article V. National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament, Section 5.02 Eligibility, Qualification:
1) e. All minimum game requirements must be completed at least four weeks prior to the beginning of the National Tournaments.
i. If invitation acceptance deadlines are prior to the minimum games played to qualify, those games (and dates) must be included on the application for post season play.
2) a. A Conference Championship which precedes the National Tournament by at least four weeks.
Varsity teams may receive an automatic bid and qualify to receive an invite to a national tournament by results from a Conference Championships and/or Regional Qualifying Tournaments. One automatic bid will be provided for Conference Championships. Regional Qualifying Tournaments will receive qualifying bids per the following criteria:
-Five (5) Teams or less = 1 Bid
-Six (6) Teams or more = 2 bids
The following are the 2018-19 Junior Division Regional Qualifying Tournaments:
- 2018 Courage Kenny Classic
Hastings, MN on November 3-4
- West Coast Conference Bid Regional Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament
Mesa, AZ on December 1-2
- UW-Whitewater Junior Regional
Whitewater, WI on January 5-6
- 21st Annual Katie Kirlin Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament
Philadelphia, PA on January 18-20
- 2019 Junior Regional Qualifier
Fort Wayne, IN on January 26-27
- Dawg Pound ShowDown
Omaha, NE on February 9-10
- Music City Madness Tournament
Franklin, TN on February 16-17
Varsity teams that receive an automatic bid will be placed in the Junior Division National Tournament (NJWBT) or Junior Invitational Tournament (NJIT) based on their FINAL rankings of the season. Thus, an automatic bid guarantees an invite to one of the two national tournaments; NJWBT or NJIT.
The following is the 2018-19 postseason timeline for the Junior Division teams and national tournaments.
- January 28th Postseason Application Available
- February 25th Postseason Application Due
- February 28th Invites sent to Junior Division teams based on Final Rankings
- March 1st Last Day to Accept Bids (24 hours from invitation receipt)
- March 17th Last Day Games Will Be Considered into Seeds for NJWBT
- March 19th Announce Seeds for NJWBT
- March 29-31 2019 National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament
More information for national tournaments will be provided when available and posted on the tournament webpage at www.nwba.org/2019njwbt.