COLORADO SPRINGS, CO - The Adult Division Executive Committee, Junior Division Executive Committee, and the NWBA national office are excited to announce the postseason timeline and qualification process for the 2022 NWBA Toyota National Championship Series for the Adult and Junior Divisions.
The following is the 2021-22 postseason timeline for the Adult and Junior Division teams to be eligible to participate in their respective national tournament.
December 1: Team Registration Deadline (team must registered to be eligible for postseason play)
February 3: Post Season Applications are OPEN
February 24: Post Season Applications are DUE
March 1: Invites are sent out
March 3: Last Day for Bids to be Accepted
March 13: Last Day Games are Considered for Seeding
March 22: Seedings are Announced
March 30 – April 3: 2022 NWBA Toyota Adult & Junior National Championships – Gameplay starts on March 31 for Adults and April 1 for Juniors
Per the Adult Division Guidelines, Article VI. Post Season Play, Section 1 - National Championships: to be eligible for a national tournament, a team must be in good standing with the NWBA, and completed a schedule of no less than ten (10) games against other NWBA member teams in Division I, Division II, Division III, Intercollegiate Division, or Women Adult Division.
NOTE: Adult Division III teams must play ten (10) games minimum against Adult Division III teams to qualify for postseason.
The top 16 ranked teams for each level of play in the Adult Division (DI, DII, & DIII) will earn an invite to compete in their respective division for the Adult Division National Championships. If a team does not accept its bid for post season play, invitations will be sent to the next team, in order of ranking, until all Adult Division tournaments are filled.
The Adult Division Executive Committee shall rank all teams applying for berths in their respective division for the Adult Division National Championships. The following information shall be considered and weighed in determining the rankings:
1. Win – Loss record. Consideration shall be given to the competitive level of opponents.
2. Head-to-head competition between teams.
3. Competition between mutual opponents.
4. The consistency of a team’s rating in the divisional monthly rankings.
5. Any significant roster changes such as additions and/or deletions of veteran players.
6. The point spread or margin of victory shall not be considered a factor for the winning team.
The top 16 ranked teams for Varsity level of play in the Junior Division will earn an invite to compete in the National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (NJWBT). Varsity teams ranked 17-32 will receive an invite to participate in the Junior National Invitational Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (NJIT). The top 16 ranked teams from Prep are initially offered an invitation to participate in the National Prep Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (NPWBT). If a team does not accept its bid for postseason play, invitations will be sent to the next team, in order of ranking, until all Junior Division tournaments are filled.
Per the Junior Division Guidelines, Article V. Section 5.02 to be eligible for a national tournament, a team must be in good standing with the NWBA, and:
1. Play a minimum of TEN (10) games for Varsity and EIGHT (8) games for Prep.
2. Each Varsity and Prep team must compete in their Conference Championship.
3. All minimum game requirements must be completed at least four weeks prior to the beginning of the national tournament.
The Junior Division Executive Committee may provide an exemption to the following requirements in Junior Division Guidelines for Article V. National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Tournament, Section 5.02 Eligibility, Qualification:
1) e. All minimum game requirements must be completed at least four weeks prior to the beginning of the National Tournaments.
i. If invitation acceptance deadlines are prior to the minimum games played to qualify, those games (and dates) must be included on the application for post season play.
2) a. A Conference Championship which precedes the National Tournament by at least four weeks.
Varsity teams may receive an automatic bid and qualify to receive an invite to a national tournament by results from a Conference Championships and/or Regional Qualifying Tournaments. One automatic bid will be provided for Conference Championships. Regional Qualifying Tournaments will receive qualifying bids per the following criteria:
-Five (5) Teams or less = 1 Bid
-Six (6) Teams or more = 2 bids